Saturday, January 3, 2009

My Love of Dreaming

If you read the previous two posts from my old blog, you will see a theme regarding roleplaying and my life.

I lost a seven-year-long job in 2006, and gained a super-crappy job in 2007. These events wreaked havoc on my inner voice. I sort of lost it. I was so involved with the real world, my insides had no room for the fantastic, and my creativity pretty much dried up.

Consequently, my taste for RPGs dissipated, and I could not focus on any of them for any length of time. I still tried to keep interest in them, mostly out of habit, but it never amounted to anything.

Recently, on Jeff's Gameblog, I ran across a discussion of Labyrinth Lord. Following that, I became a bit obsessed with the game, bought it, and ... actually ran it. It was a good gig.

While thinking of turning this one-shot into an actual campaign, I came across Castles & Crusades. I read about it, then read the quick-start rules, and determined that it was just what I was looking for -- a rules-light version of the first RPG I ever encountered, and the RPG that all my friends are most comfortable with.

I started thinking about a game world, and then talked to Ronn about his Baenrahl setting, and asked if he'd mind if I ran it. He gave the approval and I've been obsessing about it ever since.

Where am I going with all this?

Simple. I've got my game back. I've been bitten by the RPG bug again.

The other day I realized that I was creating worlds in my head, running through game statistics and rules, and, in short, dreaming.

It was like meeting an old friend that I hadn't seen in years. Sheer joy.

I found dreams again. And I love it.

So this blog is being re-created and re-dedicated to gaming. All my personal, life stuff will be on my family blog at parkspages.com. This one will focus on posts that involve dice.

Sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me with your best shot.